Sunday, November 12, 2006

First Blog

I see this blog as a way for me to somehow organize the amazing amount of ideas that are being created here at Stanford Business School. I have been here only 2 months and have met some of the most fascinating people. Right now, my thoughts have been centered on three career paths/industries: entrepreneurship, e-Commerce, and sports. Ideally, I would like to combine all three, following a path similar to Eric Baker's (GSB '01), when he formed StubHub.com.

One idea I am throwing around is college recruiting software--I have spoken with a classmate of mine who is an assistant coach for a women's soccer team, and there is a lot of room for improving the current software that they use. I am also meeting with the AD of USF (not UCSF, which I mistakenly used in an email to her--oops!), to discuss my idea. One potentially huge issue I have to address is the size of the market for college recruiting software. I spoke with a VC over lunch (he is in the executive education program here at Stanford and also graduated from Carleton in '94), and that was his first concern--while this may be a good idea, the market is probably too small for a VC firm to be interested. Also, how will I be able to convince teams to allocate resources away from their current budget to my software. So this may or may not be a path to pursue, but the great thing about Stanford is that there are so many opportunities that I feel the only limiting factor for me is time.

I'm sure I will be commenting more on this topic after my meeting Wednesday, but I also want to outline other ideas I would like to post in the near future:

-Takeaways from my Paths to Power class
-My research paper on local search
-Microfinance through Prosper.com
-What I learned at the Roads to Innovation Conference
-Tips for applying to business school, as well as studying for the GMAT--since I spent almost a year of my life doing it, I might as well share some insights :)

Cheers,
Justin

No comments: