Sunday, December 3, 2006

Fantasy Basketball

So I've noticed that I spend an inordinate amount of time playing fantasy basketball... and a few of my fellow GSBers have asked me for some advice on how best to run a team. Here are a couple of my thoughts:

Scan the box scores every day
-This takes only a couple minutes, but is essential for understanding who is getting playing time, who is starting, and who is putting up significant numbers.

Research the draft
-Not really going to help anybody right now, but the single most important part of the Fantasy NBA season is the draft. Middle to late round sleepers make or break your season.

Watch basketball games
-Silly, but a lot of fantasy players don't actually watch the games. This is especially important in the first week of the season--most of the breakout players I have picked up from the waiver wire in the last couple of years have been immediately after a game or while I was watching the game.

Predict who will get Center eligibility
-I have used this tactic so often in my leagues that managers who have played with me for awhile will actually not make trades with me because they know if I want their player, he very well may be center-eligible soon. Keep track of who starts, and learn the eligibility rules for your league. Centers are extremely valuable (though not as much this year as in previous years).

Try to make "two-for-one" trades
-Two for one trades are great because you can't play everyone on your team everyday--depending on the league, you will have at least a couple bench spots, so I'd rather have a superstar I play everyday, then 2 mid level stars that I spot start. There are a couple ways to accomplish this--the traditional two-for-one, which most managers are reluctant to make now because they have learned that two-for-ones aren't the best moves, and the two-for-two, that involves the other teams worst player. Essentially these are two-for-ones, especially if there is a player on waivers that you are looking to pick up anyway.

I'm sure there will be some future posts on more strategy involving Fantasy, but I definitely welcome any opinions on this matter, or if you disagree with my post.
Justin

No comments: