Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weekend in Sweden

Just finished up a great weekend in Stockholm with a dinner at the Opera House--finally got some authentic Swedish meatballs. Also finally tried some herring; they love this stuff out here, but its a little to much for me. Today we recovered from a night out at The Village, the "hippest" club in Stockholm according to my Swedish friend. Surprisingly, drinks were not that much more expensive than at every other bar we've gone to (but still in the $15 range). I was also one of the youngest people there (and recognizably so given that everyone I talked to asked me what my age was). I think we showed the Swedish 30 year olds how we like to party though!

So after a couple hours of sleep we left for a river cruise of Stockholm and then went to an awesome museum that holds an authentic 17th century battle ship. It is impressive how large the ship was... I had never really thought about that until seeing one up close. The ship has a great story behind it as well--it sank 20 minutes into its maiden voyage! The king of Sweden ordered that the ship have 2 levels of cannons, which placed too much weight on the top half of the ship and basically it just fell over into the Baltic Sea. We were told that Sweden spent 2% of its GNP to build it too. Talk about an embarrassing moment for Sweden!

Tomorrow is the last day of the study trip, and then i fly back to the U.S. on Tuesday. Then off to class on Wednesday to begin my last quarter at the GSB--I cannot believe how quickly it has gone by!

No comments: